Monday, December 12, 2011

Brand New Shoes

I often get asked how I come up with songs. Well here's how my Brand New Shoes song happened! I was at a Fair, looking through the second hand clothing, when I saw a cute little boy about 18months old, walking around in a pair of gumboots. He had his legs straight and was lifting them up really high as he stomped about. I smiled at his mum and said "how cute!" and she said "it's his first pair of real shoes".

On my way home in the car, I started thinking about it and started singing and came up with the chorus "New shoes, who's shoes?, my shoes, two shoes; red, yellow, orange, green or any colour in between; new shoes, that I choose". The rest of the song came as I imagined what small children would like to do in their shoes and how it would make them feel.

It's on my "i've got a dinosaur in my back yard" CD and you can listen to the song here http://songs4kids.co.nz/cds.html

See if you can come up with some rhyming words like the ones I use in the song, then you can make up your own song! It doesn't have to be about shoes, it could be about ANYTHING!

No comments: